Left: Detail of Gerard ter Borch, Young Woman at her Toilet with a Maid, C. 1650-51, oil on panel, 47.6 x 34.6cm, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan. Right: Detail of Johannes Vermeer, Woman with a Pearl Necklace, 1662-5 Staatliche Museen zu Berlin © bpk/Germäldegalerie, SMB/Jörg P.Andres
The exhibition will explore the fascinating network of relationships between Vermeer and Dutch genre painters of the period 1650 to 1675, and will give visitors an insight into how Vermeer and his contemporaries admired, inspired and rivalled each other.
Conceived by the National Gallery of Ireland, this exhibition will bring together some 60 paintings from around the world. As many as 10 works by Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675) will be included in the exhibition, which represents almost a third of Vermeer's surviving oeuvre and the third highest number of works by the artist ever assembled in the world.
The exhibition is organised by the National Gallery of Ireland in collaboration with the Musée du Louvre, Paris, and the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Tickets for the exhibition are selling fast. To learn more about the exhibition and book your tickets visit the National Gallery website.
Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675) Woman with a Balance, c. 1663-4 Widener Collection. Courtesy National Gallery of Art, Washington.
Zurich is running a competition for one lucky winner to win two tickets to the Vermeer exhibition at the National Gallery of Ireland. To be in with a chance to win answer this simple question: Where is the exhibition taking place?
a) The National Gallery of Ireland or b) The National Museum of Ireland.
Send your answer to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for entry is the 30th June and all entries will be entered into a draw. T&Cs apply.
VERMEER AT THE NATIONAL GALLERY OF IRELAND - COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS (JUNE 2017)
- The promoter is Zurich Life Assurance plc. whose registered office is at Zurich House, Frascati Road, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
- The competition is open to residents of Ireland aged 18 years or over except employees of Zurich Life and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via https://www.zurichlife.ie/blog/20170615-national-gallery-ireland/
- Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
- Closing date for entry will be 30th June 2017. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows: entrants must send an email to email@example.com with the correct answer to a question posted the Zurich Life blog - https://www.zurichlife.ie/blog/20170615-national-gallery-ireland/
- Zurich Life reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter's control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- Zurich Life Assurance plc. is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- There is one prize to win two tickets to the Vermeer exhibition at the National Gallery of Ireland. The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Zurich Life Assurance plc. will judge the competition and the winner will be picked at random from all correct and complete entries via email.
- The winner will be notified by email within 2 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 24 hours of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / is delivered.
- The promoter's decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Irish law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ireland.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry including any photographs or images shared. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current Irish data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant's prior consent.
- The winner's name will be available 28 days after closing date by emailing the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.