Frequently asked questions
How can I get a van insurance quotation?
To get a van insurance quote please contact us by phone on 1890 400 300 and we will provide you with all the information you need.
Do I lose my no claims discount after a claim?
As a valued Zurich customer, you will not lose your entire no claims discount. The discount applying will be stepped back at the next renewal date. After a claim your no claim discount will be stepped back by three years. Windscreen claims will not affect your no claims discount.
Can I protect my no claims discount?
Yes, for an additional premium you can protect your no claims discount. This will mean you will preserve the no claims discount you earned even if you have a claim. The protection offered means you can have two claims within a three year period that will not affect your no claims discount.
Is windscreen cover included and what exactly does it cover?
Windscreen cover is included automatically under comprehensive van insurance policies. In addition to windscreen cover, damage to the back and side windows is also covered. There is zero excess for a repair, or a €30 excess on a replacement. If you have windscreen cover on your policy and would like to report damage to the windscreen, rear screen or body glass in your vehicle, call our approved repairer - Allglass Windscreens at 1890 20 12 12 (local) 00 3531 85 00052 (from overseas) or report your claim online here.
What is a policy excess?
A policy excess is the monetary amount of a claim which is not insured. This amount will be shown on your Commercial Motor Schedule of Insurance. A standard excess applies to accidental damage claims and separate windscreen excess applies to windscreen claims.
What should I do in the event of an accident?
- Report the accident to the Gardai immediately. If the accident involves injury to people you are required by law to report the incident to the Gardai or local police (if abroad) as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours.
- Note the registration of any vehicles involved. Exchange names, addresses, driving licence & insurance details with anyone involved. Try to obtain the names and addresses of any witnesses.
- This is a stressful situation so don't be pressurised by others at the scene into admitting any fault on your part. When you've had time to recover and look at the facts, things may in reality be very different.
- If possible, draw a basic diagram of the accident location to include approximate road measurements, road signs, markings, traffic signals and vehicles involved. Take details of all injuries and damage sustained. If you have a mobile phone with a built-in digital camera, you could also take some photos.
- Notify us of your accident within 48 hours on our 24 hour emergency helpline 1890 400 300. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We will send you an accident report form, which must be must be completed and returned to us as soon as possible.
- All Zurich customers can avail of our Claims Assistance Helpline 1890 400 300, where queries regarding your claim will be dealt with.
- Let us know immediately if you receive notice of any prosecution or if other parties are to be prosecuted as a result of the accident. All correspondence from third parties, their insurers or representatives should be sent to us unanswered as soon as possible after receipt.
What should I do in the event my van is stolen or damaged?
If your van is stolen or damaged as a result of theft or malicious damage, immediately report the matter to the Garda or police station nearest to the location.
All Zurich customers can avail of our claims assistance helpline 1890 400 300, where queries regarding your claim will be dealt with. Please notify us within 48 hours. All correspondence from third parties, their insurers or representatives should be sent to us unanswered as soon as possible after receipt.
Do I get a discount for named driver experience?
Yes, if you have been a named driver on a previous policy in the past 12 months we will take this into consideration and apply a discount if you have not made a claim.
Can I contact you regarding my policy through your website?
Yes, you can fill in our online enquiry form, giving us details of your query and policy. We will respond within one working day. This online form can be used for any query or change you may have to your policy.
What should I do in the event of a claim?
All correspondence from third parties, their insurers or representatives should be sent to us unanswered as soon as possible after receipt. All Zurich customers can avail of our claims assistance helpline 1890 208 408, where queries regarding your claim will be dealt with. Please notify us within 48 hours.
What should I do if I want to make a change to my policy?
You can contact us on 1890 400 300 (Monday-Friday 08.30-18.30)
Who can drive my van?
Any person who is a named driver on your policy can drive your van. Their name must be stated on the valid insurance certificate.
Can I add someone to my policy?
Yes, but conditions or limits may apply. Please contact us on 1890 400 300 to find out more.
I do not qualify for commercial motor tax rates but still require a commercial vehicle for work purposes – can I get a quote?
Yes, we may still be able to quote you – please contact us on 1890 400 300 (Monday-Friday 08.30-18.30) to discuss.
I own a commercial van/SUV/pickup but do not use it for commercial or trade purposes – can I still get a quote?
Possibly, yes – we appreciate that there may be people who may have such vehicles for social or hobby purposes that require insurance cover (excluding carriage of passengers, high mileage, and carriage of toxic, flammable and explosive goods). You can contact us on 1890 400 300 (Monday-Friday 08.30-18.30) to discuss.