In October last year, the National Gallery of Ireland announced the winning artist for the 2018 Zurich Portrait Prize. Mandy O’Neill won for her portrait and Kim Haughton and Blaise Smith were highly commended.
All the shortlisted portraits have been on display in Room 23 of the National Gallery of Ireland since 6 October 2018, but the exhibition is due to end on Sunday, 13 January 2019.
Now in its fifth year, the competition is a celebration of contemporary portraiture and showcases the creations of artists working across a number of disciplines.
“Zurich is very proud to be associated with this competition,” CEO of Zurich Insurance plc, Patrick Manley said. “The National Gallery of Ireland’s portrait prize is a wonderful showcase of the abundant talent around us, and gives many gifted artists the opportunity to have their work hang in the prestigious location that is the National Gallery of Ireland.”
The shortlisted artists’ work will be exhibited until next Sunday, 13 January. Admission is free.
See the National Gallery of Ireland for details of the artists and their work.
The shortlisted artists for the Zurich Portrait Prize 2018 are:
- Kyle Barnes (Southampton), Company Sergeant Gary Madden, oil on canvas
- David Booth (Wexford), Unit, oil, acrylic and spray paint
- Sarah Bracken Soper (Dublin), Quiet Revolution, embroidery on canvas
- Peter Bradley (Galway), Sonder, oil on canvas
- Gillian Cullen (Meath), Healing, pencil on paper (Bristol board)
- Stephen Doyle (Cork), Dylan is ainm dom…, mixed media (oil and neon glass)
- Cara Dunne (Dublin), Molly and Ruby, acrylic paint and coloured pencil on canvas
- Robert Ellis (Clare), Herbert, photograph (archival pigment print)
- Salvatore Fullam (Dublin), Me and my Dad in McDonalds, oil on cotton canvas
- Debbie Godsell (Cork), Prism, photo screen print
- Kim Haughton (Dublin), J.P. Donleavy, photograph
- Thomas Jenner (Dublin), Henry Peter Jenner with Bow and Arrows, photograph
- Miseon Lee (Dublin), Me in the Mirror, oil on linen
- Connor Maguire (Belfast), Portrait of a Modern Family, oil on canvas
- Jonathan Mayhew (Dublin), Autoportrait, USB flash drive containing MP3, MP4, jpeg and PDF files
- Fionn McCann (Dublin), Cézanne’s Apple, photograph
- David Molloy (Kerry), A portrait of the Artist Pieter Koning, photograph
- Yvette Monahan (Dublin), The thousand-year-old Boy, photograph
- Gill Morrow (Belfast), YES, porcelain
- Darragh O’Connell (Wexford), Buddy, oil on canvas
- Will O’Kane (Clare), A.L. oil on canvas
- Mandy O’Neill (Dublin), Diane, Larkin Community College, photograph
- Martin Redmond (Wexford), Karl, oil on linen
- Nicholas Benedict Robinson (Wicklow), Mary-Kate Lanigan, oil on birchwood
- Blaise Smith (Kilkenny), My Parents, Allen and Elizabeth Smith, oil on canvas