If you need to make a claim, it’s reassuring to know that help is at hand when you need it most.

Here are some helpful tips and guides to help you understand what to expect when making a home insurance claim.

Contact us

If you need to make a home insurance claim, call us on our 24 hour claims assist helpline 01 609 1436 or email: claimsnotification@zurich.com. If you have an escape of water, you'll need to find your stop tap and turn it off immediately. Please click here for more information.

What do I need to make a claim?

At Zurich we understand that making a claim can sometimes seem stressful, especially if you haven't had to claim before. Our experienced claim handlers are here to help you through your claim.

To register a claim, you will need: 

  • Your policy number
  • Policy details - policyholder name
  • Policyholder's date of birth
  • Any supporting documentation of ownership (we appreciate this may not always be possible in all cases).

Incident Details

  • Information about where the loss occured.
  • Information on what has been damaged/lost.
  • Digital photos of the damage in question.
  • Details of any third party who may have been responsible for causing the damage.
  • A Garda Pulse number if the loss or damage has been reported to the Gardai.

Repair Details

  • Confirmation of costs to repair, replace or remedy the damage in question.

Escape of water

  • Photos of the damage and point of origin of the leak and keep any damaged fittings/parts.

 Please note:

  • Check your policy schedule as you may have Home Emergency Assistance cover.

Things to consider when making a claim

At Zurich, we want to be clear on situations that may arise which may not be covered under your policy. It’s important to check your policy documents for the specific exclusions on your policy.

Our policies are designed to protect you against the risk of things happening unexpectedly such as fire, theft, flood and storm.

There are however limits to what the policy will cover. It is not a substitute for proper upkeep or for things wearing out, breaking down or failing because of lack of maintenance.

What is wear and tear?
All buildings will gradually deteriorate over time through exposure to the elements, while contents deteriorate through their daily usage.
As a result of this, most policies will have a wear and tear exclusion that means any damage caused naturally over a period of time would not be covered. As an example this means that we will not provide cover for things such as defective rendering or general roof maintenance.

The guttering on my property is broken- will I be covered?
All buildings will gradually deteriorate over time through exposure to the elements, while contents deteriorate through their daily usage

If over time the guttering on a property becomes worn and breaks it would need to be replaced by the policyholder. This is because the damage has occurred as part of the buildings normal usage and has not been caused by an insured peril. If, however the guttering was in a good condition but was broken by extreme storm conditions, the insurance policy would cover the damage.

It is also worth knowing that most items of contents are covered on a new for old basis except for clothing and household linen where deductions for wear and tear may also apply. This means that in the event of a claim you may not receive the full amount for those items that it would cost to replace the item as new.

Wear and tear may occur to anyone’s property or belongings over time through ordinary use. It is your responsibility to keep your home and contents in a good state of repair.


Get your car insurance quote today

Use promocode 'Protect'

Call us in Wexford

Renew online

Terms, conditions and underwriting criteria may apply.