You can’t put a price on peace of mind, and if you own a holiday home, you will want to know that your home-from-home is insured and protected should the worst happen. Our home insurance covers your holiday home where "holiday home" is selected as part of your policy.

Why holiday home insurance?

Could you afford to rebuild your holiday home if it was destroyed, for example, by a fire? If you answer no and even if you own your second home outright, you should have the property insured just as you would any home. Given that a holiday home is often left unoccupied for long periods, there is a greater chance of a burst pipe or a water leak, and break-ins are also more likely if a house is unoccupied. Having holiday home insurance in place to protect your second home is important however additional requirements/restrictions may apply for the following cover: escape of water, stealing or attempted stealing, vandals or malicious damage and storm or flood. This is due to the fact that these properties are unoccupied for long periods of time.

Cost of cover

Before you take out holiday home insurance you’ll need to know the rebuild cost of your investment property. The Society of Chartered Surveyors provide a rebuild calculator to give you an indication of the rebuilding cost of your house. If the holiday home is in an apartment building, the building insurance should be covered by the annual management fees. However, always ask for a copy of the policy to see if it is adequate. It might be necessary to take out an additional coverage to protect your contents. To get a quote, call us in Wexford on 0818 400 700 or 053 915 7775.

Reducing risks

A holiday home is vulnerable to the same risks as any home or building, but because you won’t be living in your holiday property all the time, things such as leaks, might go unnoticed for a period of time. Therefore, it’s important to put various measures in place to help reduce the risk of damage to your holiday home. Read our risk prevention tips for simple ideas on how to protect your second home*.

*Water damage and theft restrictions apply when a holiday or second home is unoccupied and cover is restricted.

Insurance benefits

As well as the standard buildings insurance protecting you against damage or loss of your second home from fire, flood and subsidence, we also offer a number of additional benefits, including cover up to €750 for finding a water or oil leak and fire brigade charges covered up to €2,000. Check out the full list of benefits here.

Terms, conditions and underwriting criteria may apply.