Home heating advice
As heating systems generate heat by definition, care needs to be taken with them in order to prevent fires from starting. Following these tips will help ensure a warm, safe household:
- • Seek professionals: All solid fuel stoves should be installed by a certified professional.
- • Take precautions: All fireplaces and heaters should have a secure fireguard. Never leave the room without having a guard in front of the fire.
- • Regular maintenance: All chimneys and/or flues to solid fuel stoves, boilers and open fires should be cleaned by a certified professional at least once a year.
- • Be aware of flammables: Keep heaters away from flammable material such as blinds curtains and bedding.
- • Warning when refuelling: Never move or refuel an oil or gas heater while it is lighting.
- • Hot ashes: Make sure that hot ashes are completely cooled before disposing of them in a metal container. Hot ashes should never be disposed of in wheelie bins.