How much should I insure my house for?

Calculating how much insurance cover you will need will depend on the rebuild cost of your home.

Buildings insurance will cover you for loss or damage of the property due to fire, flood, subsidence, storms and damage caused by escape of water and oil, so making sure that your property is adequately insured is crucially important.

When working out the value of your property/ the intended insured sum, you should base your figure on the rebuilding cost and not the market value of your home. You will also be asked for the location, number of rooms, when the property was built, the roof and wall type and any car park spaces, garages or outhouses.

Calculating insurance cover

To be totally confident that your home is adequately insured, an independent surveyor, can calculate the exact rebuilding cost of your home. We also have a rebuild calculator where you can calculate the rebuild cost. This calculator is based on information released by the Society of Chartered Surveyors and is intended as a guide only to give you an indication of the rebuilding cost of your house. Rebuild costs should also factor in the costs of professional services, if for example, you needed to avail of a solicitor or architect.

Terms, conditions and underwriting criteria may apply.

Get your home insurance quote today

Get a quote in less than 2 minutes.

Call us in Wexford

Renew online